Meet Melissa Gardner, a professional window designer at Danmer Custom Window Coverings. Melissa has over 16 years of professional industry experience and likes to blend the traditional with the contemporary, the new with the old. She enjoys working with clients to create a custom look for their home.
Melissa’s’s unique design talent and business experience (she owned a successful marketing company for 14 yrs before transitioning to design) have allowed her the opportunity to work with a diverse range of clients and home owners through her career.
Style and Design Trends
What’s a recent design trend you’re loving or following. New design trends that I like are the use of Gray colors.
Blinds, Shades or Shutters… what is your preference? I like and I love using textures on a window but my favorite to sell is always shutters they are a classic and will never go out of style. Plus I love the energy efficiency of our shutters.
Pet Friendly Focused Window Coverings
Have fur babies at home? Melissa has some advice for you and your pets. When it comes to man’s best friend and your blinds or shades, the problem isn’t playfulness as much as curiosity. While cats like to lounge in windows and play with cords, dogs want to know what is going on in the world outside. Because of this, if you have pets at home, you need to consider your options. Window treatments are just an obstruction keeping your furry friends from a clear view of that squirrel, or the mailman, or whatever may be going on outside. Melissa can suggest the right options for you, weather it’s Cordless Blinds or top down/bottom up Honeycomb Shades or Custom Interior Shutters, your pets will be safe and you’ll have a piece of mind knowing that their aren’t dangers at home.
Melissa serves the Laguna Niguel and Newport Beach area, if you’re interested in a Free In-Home Design Consultation, call (888) 835-1571 to schedule an appointment. Click here to learn more about Melissa.
Large windows provide lots of light and usually a nice view. Having nice, large windows can open up a room and make you feel like you’re more a part of nature but they can also be a pain to cover. Without proper window treatments you’ll have a severe lack of privacy and the blinding sun can shine in whenever it wants; whether you’re watching TV with a glare or suffering through a hot day that your big window is making even hotter. Follow these simple tips for choosing and utilizing window treatments for large windows.
1. Choose proper window treatments for large windows. Some window treatments are better than others when it comes to covering larger windows. Vertical blinds for example work well and are an affordable option. They can be closed completely to block unwanted sun or to provide a little privacy. Vertical blinds can also be tilted open slightly to allow indirect sunlight in or pulled open all the way to provide an unhindered view.
Shutters are also a popular option for large windows. Choose custom shutters that will fit the window perfectly no matter what size or shape it is. Shutters installed on all windows in the room create a distinctive look that you’ll love for years to come.
2. Select energy efficient window treatments. You lose a lot of air through windows, especially large ones. Installing a large window in the room can make it much more difficult to regulate the temperature inside the room, unless of course you select energy efficient window treatments. Danmer’s Thermalite shutters are specially designed to insulate three times better than Danmer also offers blinds and shades that can deflect unwanted sunlight and restrict air flow which will lower your energy costs and save you money month after month.
3. Choose the color and style carefully. You may love that bright color or deep, rich stain, but when you get it on your large window it may be too much. Larger windows are usually best covered with neutral colors that flow with the rest of the room. You can match the color of the walls or choose an off-white color. Either way make sure to complement the existing décor because your large window treatments will be taking up a lot of wall space.
4. Buy American. With the recent turmoil in the U.S. economy and the awareness of our jobs being sent overseas, many Americans are making it a priority to buy American and window treatments are no different. Look for the “Made in the U.S.A” label before you make an investment in new window coverings.
5. Trust Danmer for large window treatments. One of the best tips is to let a Danmer design specialist help you select the best window treatments for your home. Danmer will not only help you make the right choice, we will also do all of the measuring and then custom make your window coverings in our U.S.-based factory. You’ll have peace of mind knowing you’re working with a professional company that has been in business for over 35 years and offers a comprehensive warranty on all products.
Did you know that July is National Picnic Month, and just in case you’re throwing your own star spangled 4th of July shindig, here are 5 tips that will make sure your celebration is one for the ages!
- Fashionalbly festive foods. Add a decorative twist, like red and blue berries to cakes or presenting watermelon wedges on a stick to reinforce the colorful red-white-blue theme of the 4th.
- Red, white, and beautiful drinks. Click here for inspired 4th of July beverages – both cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks – that’ll keep your guests cool and all set for the day’s entertainment.
- Declaration of entertainment. What’s the best way to pass time between eating and fireworks? Party games, of course! There are tons of kid-friendly 4th of July activities available — from scavenger hunts to epic water balloon battles — to keep the family entertained until the main event.
- Location, Location, Location. Whether you’re watching this year’s free displays from your backyard, or you’re enjoying the brilliant spectacles in a park or other public environment, two things are certain: safety is important, and a good view is crucial! Always research both aspects before choosing a spot for your picnic.
OK, so if you’re staying at home with your family or having some friends over, you can still often see lots of festivities and fireworks right out your windows. Danmer’s custom shutters and window coverings, proudly made in assembled in the USA, are designed to frame your windows with style and elegance so that you can get a full view of the action when desired, and shut it out when you’re finished for the night (and any other night, for that matter).
However you decide to celebrate, Danmer wishes your family a safe and happy 4th of July! Call us anytime at (800) 684-3434 to learn more about our custom window coverings and set up your free in-home consultation.
Window treatments can transform a room, giving a room a whole new look and feel or complement its existing personality. Not only do window treatments add a decorative level to your windows, they can also offer a lot in the way of aesthetic light control. Whether you want soft, filtered light in the baby’s nursery or clear, bright sunlight in the breakfast room, choosing the right window treatments is a key step.
Of course, there are many treatments to choose from – do you want woven wood blinds, cellular shades or custom plantation shutters? Maybe you want to add motorized window blinds. No matter what look you’re trying to create – or enhance! – you’ll find an incredible selection of beautiful window treatments on our website. Because our window treatments are built to last, with comprehensive warranties to match, you can rest assured that you’ll have many years to enjoy both the form and function of our window treatments.
Call us now at (888) 855-1428 and take advantage of our Free In Home Design Consultation, as well as Buy One, Get One 50% Off on all of our custom window treatments.
Home improvement season is in full swing, and homeowners everywhere are taking on projects as small as replacing kitchen tiles, to as large as full basement renovations. But what many homeowners don’t realize, is that not all home improvements help the overall resale value of a house. In fact, some can actually hurt it.
Since some home improvement projects tend to be inspired by fleeting seasonal trends, it’s good to make sure that they can be easily and inexpensively updated down the road, if the trend, for whatever reason, doesn’t catch on. Otherwise, it’s always a safe bet to limit big projects to carefully planned, and universally functional improvements that will always be in demand, in case you should you ever choose to sell your home.
One of the best home improvement projects worth undertaking is a window treatment upgrade. Window Shutters, a fine example of function meeting design, can give a room an elegant, timeless look and feel, and can compliment any decor. Danmer’s Shutters, such as those from the UltraLuxe Shutters and Thermalite shutters, include a very unique added benefit: each comes with a transferable warranty, which increases the value of your home, and can earn you more money if you ever decide to sell it.
Whatever home improvement projects you may be tackling this season, be sure to do plenty of research before starting, and consult industry professionals with any questions you may have. If your improvements should happen to include new window treatments, Danmer is here for you ever step of the way. Contact us at (800) 684-3434 to get started.
The “era of relaxation” isn’t going away anytime soon. American families have grown fond of living spaces that allow them to unplug and unwind from the hectic pace of life these days. But as we near the midpoint of 2017, cheerful and up-beat colors are still in vogue and a new flock of “trends” in interior design look a lot like recent tried and true standards for summer. Here are some of the most popular summer design trends so far:
- Color pops: Small but Bold. Summer bring bold flavors, sights and sounds…don’t shy away from bringing a little bit of color into your home. If furniture is too much for you, opt for bright accessories such as throws, pillows or accent rugs.
- Outdoor comes in. You’re probably spending more time outdoors than indoors during the summer, but you can still bring the season’s best elements inside with you. There’s no stopping the current nature trend by decorating homes with lots of indoor plants and trees and the warm earth tones to complement them.
- Window improvements. The right Window Coverings remain the best way to complement to any decor while you regulate the amount of light that gets in, and how much of your room’s decor they illuminate. With nearly limitless possibilities for colors, styles, and shapes, swapping out window treatments can transform an entire room or your entire house without breaking the bank.
- Texture. Weaving texture into your home’s interior makes it more inviting and relaxing. Texture’s don’t need to be permanent, try draping a wool throw over a chair or mix up your fabrics used for decorative pillows to test this trend.
Before taking on any major home improvement projects, it’s always good to research upcoming trends and home improvement solutions — and never hesitate to consult industry professionals with any questions you may have.
If your summer decor plan includes a window treatment upgrade, contact Danmer to find the solution that best fits your style and budget.
Do you get Memorial Day confused with Veterans Day? The truth is, it happens more often than you think. Here’s a handy cheat sheet to help you differentiate between the two (and be a hit at your Memorial Day BBQ):
- Began as “Decoration Day” (originally celebrated on May 30th) as a day to honor those who were killed in any past war by ‘decorating’ their graves with flowers.
- Celebrated the last Monday in May.
- Rooted to “Armistice Day,” a day set aside to celebrate the end of World War I in particular.
- The honor was expanded in 1954 to include all Veterans, and thus renamed Veterans Day to reflect the change.
- Observed on November 11th.
As we attend gatherings with friends and family this weekend, let us not forget the sacrifices that were made for our freedoms. Danmer honors the brave men and women of the U.S. Military. We wish you a safe and happy Memorial Day, from our family to yours.
Whether you’ve been beating the heat with box fans or AC, you may feel like you’ve gotten the last laugh … until the electric bill comes — and then nobody’s laughing. It’s simple math: the hotter it gets, the more energy it takes to cool down, but by treating windows with energy efficient window coverings, such as Danmer’s Thermalite Shutters Insulating System, you can stay cool while slashing home energy bills by up to 35%. Here’s why:
- Maximize R-Value. Thermalite Shutters are great for double pane windows, providing one of the highest R-Value shutter ratings on the market.
- Less Heat Transfer. Using the Thermalite Shutters Insulating System in hot climates reduces the amount of heat transfer that enters into your home.
- Restricts Air Exchange. Thermalite Shutters allow you to control the amount of airflow traveling between your window openings and the outside environment.
- Lower Kilowatt Hours. Saving kilowatt hours means saving on your cooling bill, and Thermalite Shutters assists you in both.
- Enhanced Energy Efficiency. Thermalite Shutters will insulate your home up three-times better than wood shutters.
- Monthly Energy Savings. Energy efficient window coverings pay for themselves by keeping your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Ready to keep cool while saving some cold hard cash? Call us at (800) 684-3434 for a FREE in-home consultation, featuring Danmer’s Thermalite Shutter Insulating System.
Going on now, Buy One Get One 50% Off Shutters, Blinds or Shades.
Ordering custom window treatments can be a bit daunting! With so many styles, colors, and varieties, it can be hard to determine which would be best for your home. The best tip? ALWAYS consult with an industry professional before making such a decision, but here’s some advice to help you separate the outstanding from the inferior:
- Many shutter companies claim their products are made in the USA, but in reality, most of them are built from foreign parts and only assembled in the USA. Ask about this!
- Several shutter companies use materials that are not environmental friendly, and in fact are composed of substances such as glued wood chips and formaldehyde. Not good!
- Some shutter companies use hollow vinyl end caps and weak plastic clips to secure their shutters. These items will not last long and will need repair and adjustment regularly.
- There’s only one company that can build and install genuine Thermalite and Ultraluxe Shutters, which are patented and considered the industry’s finest Shutters.
- Look for a Diamond Coat finish on the Shutters, using a non-toxic, water based material which is safer for your family.
- ALWAYS insist on a transferrable warranty, one that will actually add value to your home when you resell the property.
Download a copy of Danmer’s Shutter buying checklist called “8 Questions that Most Shutter Companies Don’t Want You to Ask Them” Download it here.
Don’t forget about our BUY ONE Plantation Shutter, Get One 50% special offer going on now! Visit us online to schedule your FREE In-Home Design Consultation or call us 24/7 at (800) 684-3434 to experience the Danmer Difference.
Get into the spirit of the holiday season by decorating you windows for all to see, both inside your home and from outside. Look for inspiration from your neighbor’s homes with Christmas trees, poinsettias, wreaths and bows seen from the front yard to the street. Keep an eye out and you’ll be amazed by the spectacle of all the lights and Christmas décor on the windows at night during this winter season. Don’t be afraid to create some holiday magic of your own with lights, candles, ornaments, garlands and snowflakes, pine cones and a nativity scene. Here are a few diverse window décor ideas below to start decorating your windows for the holidays!
Christmas balls and wreaths: Hanging a wreath over the window gives a beautiful illusion of the wreath floating on the glass. With a magnetic wreath hanger simply hang one hanger on the inside of the glass. They are sturdy hangers backed with protective pads so your window will not be scratched.
Christmas Window Boxes: Overflowing with white poinsettas, green pine needles, red berry clusters, and real pine cones good for indoor/outdoor use adds brillant color to your home during the day and sparkles at night while accentuating your homes plantation shutters.
Budget Decorations: Not only is it cost effective, but you can never run out of great window display ideas using paper cut outs, pine leaves and a tree branch. Sure to brighten up any kitchen this holiday season.
Don’t forget, the best part of Christmas window decorating is from both inside/outside the house. Dress up your house for the holidays with some simple projects and spread the holiday cheer. Plus, you can get into the spirit of the holiday season with a gift of Window Coverings to your home and your family. Call us at Danmer and we’ll help you design the perfect Shutters, Blinds or Shades to start the new year out right.