Large windows provide lots of light and usually a nice view. Having nice, large windows can open up a room and make you feel like you’re more a part of nature but they can also be a pain to cover. Without proper window treatments you’ll have a severe lack of privacy and the blinding sun can shine in whenever it wants; whether you’re watching TV with a glare or suffering through a hot day that your big window is making even hotter. Follow these simple tips for choosing and utilizing window treatments for large windows.
1. Choose proper window treatments for large windows. Some window treatments are better than others when it comes to covering larger windows. Vertical blinds for example work well and are an affordable option. They can be closed completely to block unwanted sun or to provide a little privacy. Vertical blinds can also be tilted open slightly to allow indirect sunlight in or pulled open all the way to provide an unhindered view.
Shutters are also a popular option for large windows. Choose custom shutters that will fit the window perfectly no matter what size or shape it is. Shutters installed on all windows in the room create a distinctive look that you’ll love for years to come.
2. Select energy efficient window treatments. You lose a lot of air through windows, especially large ones. Installing a large window in the room can make it much more difficult to regulate the temperature inside the room, unless of course you select energy efficient window treatments. Danmer’s Thermalite shutters are specially designed to insulate three times better than Danmer also offers blinds and shades that can deflect unwanted sunlight and restrict air flow which will lower your energy costs and save you money month after month.
3. Choose the color and style carefully. You may love that bright color or deep, rich stain, but when you get it on your large window it may be too much. Larger windows are usually best covered with neutral colors that flow with the rest of the room. You can match the color of the walls or choose an off-white color. Either way make sure to complement the existing décor because your large window treatments will be taking up a lot of wall space.
4. Buy American. With the recent turmoil in the U.S. economy and the awareness of our jobs being sent overseas, many Americans are making it a priority to buy American and window treatments are no different. Look for the “Made in the U.S.A” label before you make an investment in new window coverings.
5. Trust Danmer for large window treatments. One of the best tips is to let a Danmer design specialist help you select the best window treatments for your home. Danmer will not only help you make the right choice, we will also do all of the measuring and then custom make your window coverings in our U.S.-based factory. You’ll have peace of mind knowing you’re working with a professional company that has been in business for over 35 years and offers a comprehensive warranty on all products.