We’re fast approaching the mid-point of 2016, so it’s interesting to see which home trends are thriving in the zeitgeist. Here are five of the hottest trends likely to become kitchen staples for years to come:
– Ying, yang, and neutral tones Black, white, earthy grays and coffee-shaded browns are being used regularly to enhance kitchen spaces and create a more relaxing atmosphere.
– 21st Century accessibility. As with many rooms in the home, the kitchen is evolving to meet our technological needs. For example, charging stations and hand-free phone and tablet mounts are helping to make recipes and cooking videos more easily accessible.
– Functionality. Much like the need for technological accessibility, kitchens are also evolving to accommodate our other needs. The addition of small nooks and ports for refuse, wine refrigerators, and coffee making stations are popping up all over the place.
– Luxury-rugged. As with cabinetry, many kitchens are adopting rougher-looking materials, sans ornamentation, for a sleek, smooth look. Hardwood floors and black slate tiles are a great example of this, and fit well with many custom decors.
Whether undertaking a full kitchen renovation, or just freshening one up, don’t forget to include your window treatments in your epic home transformation. Did you know that Damner specifically color matches custom shutters to fit your home decor perfectly? Visit us online at www.danmer.com, or call us at (800) 684-3434 to set up your free in-home consultation.
So it’s tax season, and whether you’re expecting a refund or arranging to make payments, it’s a great idea to look for ways to cut expenses and save a few bucks in the upkeep of your home. There are actually a number of ways to save just by making simple improvements around the house! Here are five of the most cost effective:
- Replace Your Air Filter. To avoid higher energy bills, replace your air filters annually. Letting furnace air filters become clogged with dust and dirt can make it difficult for air to travel correctly, hence costing you more money to heat your home.
- Seal those heating ducts. Poorly sealed connections can actually cost homes up to 20% of their heat! Sealing up that heating ductwork can help spare a lot of shivers down the road and keep more money in your pocket.
- “Low Flow” water fixtures. “Low flow” is the way to go. They’re relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and can cut your water consumption nearly in half, lowering your water bills and reducing water waste overall.
- Use Weather stripping. Air can seep in and out during hot and cold weather, driving your energy bills up exponentially. Weather stripping is a temporary remedy in preventing unwanted loss of cool air in the summer and warm air in the winter.
Give Danmer a call at (800) 684-3434 to set up your free in-home consultation to see if the right window coverings can actually pay for themselves in reduce home energy bills, or visit us at www.danmer.com .
As you may already know, the United States will observe Daylight Saving Time on the March 13th when we’ll set our clocks forward an hour at 2 a.m. (losing an hour), and won’t set them back an hour until November 6th at 2 a.m. (when we’ll gain an hour). This system, originally conceived by Benjamin Franklin in 1784, was later adopted by many countries in an effort to save electricity and take advantage of early daylight hours.
Though many would agree that the extra daylight is a welcome sight, not to mention a harbinger of warmer weather and more time for outdoor activities, many of the same people would also agree that they’re not looking forward to losing an hour of sleep as a result of the time change! And what may be even more inconvenient, the season to follow is so full of early morning light that it can become very difficult to sleep in again until fall comes back around.
Fortunately, there are ways to get around it. The easiest would be to start sleeping in a room with no windows, but where’s the fun in that? The best option is to treat your windows with adequate window coverings that let you control the amount of sunlight that gets into your home. Danmer’s Thermalite Shutter Insulating System can be beneficial three-fold:
– Thermalite Shutters were specifically designed to reduce energy consumption by preventing temperature gain or loss through windows.
– This prevention can reduce your home energy bills by up to 35%.
– Thermalite Shutters allow you to have maximum control over incoming light. Benjamin Franklin would approve!
Visit us at www.danmer.com or call us at (800) 684-3434 to set up your free in-home consultation.
Any web search is likely to produce pages and pages of home life hacks for projects that may look great in your home, but don’t always offer a practical application to what your home really needs. The following life hacks are not among them:
Garage “Safety Bumper.” When pulling into the garage, it can be difficult to gauge how close the car is to the wall. The poor perception can result in unwanted scratches, dings — or worse! An easy fix is to cut a foam swimming pool noodle in half, lengthwise, and attach it to the wall so that you can enter without fear and/or damage when the noodle is there to take the impact instead!
“Light” hack. By mounting a $4 Ikea shelf bracket into a dark corner, and affixing a hanging light bulb from it, it becomes easy to brighten up the darker corners in a room with ease!
Walnut Touch-ups. Nothing can detract from a wood surface more than scuffs and scratches. But fear not: by rubbing the inside of an ordinary walnut against damaged areas of a wood surface, the scuffs are covered up and disappear like magic!
Non-slip rugs. Slippery rugs on slippery surfaces can be a pain — sometimes literally! But by adding a few strips of acrylic caulk to the bottom, a rug will have the grip it needs to remain stable and prevent you from taking an unwanted “magic carpet ride” across the room.
The classic “cord cabana.” If you’ve ever had to dig through a drawer full of tangled cables before, you’ll really appreciate this hack. By coiling cables — everything from phone cords, to USB cables, to any other electronics — and slipping them into vacant toilet paper rolls, you can instantly say goodbye to the random cable chaos! For added organization, just slip the rolls into a box for easy access and call it good!
Getting your home in order is important, and nobody understands that better than Danmer. We offer only the best in custom window coverings to accommodate your decor and budget. Visit us at www.danmer.com or call us at (800) 684-3434 to set up your free in-home consultation.
OK, admit it: It’s easy to get carried away when decorating for the holidays. We all know that one over-the-top neighbor who has to have the jolliest display on the block. Or r perhaps we are that neighbor. But the truth is that sometimes the most extravagant exhibits are not the safest. The good news is that there are plenty of ways to make an impression without sacrificing safety.
You don’t need to resort to plastic reindeer, but there are a number of things you can do safely to create traditionally festive-looking home for the Holidays atmosphere. For example, windows are an obvious focal point, and a great place to display decorations. However, ornaments and certain kinds of lights can be very dangerous if displayed in the window without attention to safety. Of course, there are other ways to keep on the lookout for safe decorating, but here are just a few safe and aesthetically pleasing options to choose from:
- Ribboned Pinecones. How about dangling a few ribboned pine cones from garland or a on a curtain rod? This will capture the essence of winter with very little fuss.
- Window Silhouettes. These simple but classic decorations, available in a variety of cutouts and stickers, can infuse any windows with holiday cheer! From snowflakes to reindeer, there are plenty of designs available to customize your windows.
- Holiday Wreaths. These timeless decorations are typically displayed as a warm greeting at the front door, but can sometimes be adversely affected by winter weather. Try hanging a wreath from the front window where it can be seen by everyone inside and out and be protected from the elements.
Whatever your decor, when holiday decorations are arranged or displayed out of the reach of kids and critters, they can be safely admired by the whole family and make your home a great addition to the neighborhood showcase!
Happy holidays from the Danmer family to yours!
When you think of window treatments for your home, you probably imagine Shutters, Blinds, or even Roller Shades adorning your windows. Actually, there are 100’s of other options, but one contemporary look is cellular – or honeycomb – shades. You may not know that in addition to being stylish, they have significant insulating properties.
Cellular shades are named for their honeycomb-shaped cells made of varying fabrics. They use layers of these fabric to trap cold air from the outside and insulate the windows they’re covering. This will save energy while lowering your home energy bills.
The cells come in various sizes and shapes and can be aligned vertically or horizontally for maximum efficiency and aesthetics. In addition, Danmer offers childproof cordless options on our Cellular Honeycomb Shades for the protection of your family and your pets.
Finally, here’s an additional bonus: Cellular Shades are a very affordable window covering option. Visit www.danmer.com for more info!
You’ll stay cozy and save money over the holidays if keep your window coverings functioning properly through the chilly winter months. Here are 4 handy tips to make sure your window treatments are treating you to the holiday cheer that you and your family deserve.
1: Not all window covering materials are the same. Cleaning shutters made of hardwoods may require a slightly different approach than cleaning synthetic materials. Get to know your window treatment materials and then use and the cleaning solutions / methods recommended specifically for these products. Your coverings will last longer and they’ll stay looking great for the Holiday season!
2: Dust. Dusting your Shutters, Blinds or Shades regularly can help keep allergen build-up at bay and thus keeping you and your family sniffle-free during the changing seasonal temperatures. A simple feather duster can sometimes do the trick.
3: Clean deeper when necessary. Sometimes a regular household feather duster isn’t enough to clear debris or stains and buildup that your coverings may have picked up. If that’s the case, you may need to wipe with a microfiber cloth or enlist the help of some good old-fashioned mild soap and water.
4: When in doubt, ask! If the information you’ve found in your research proves inconclusive and you’re not sure of the best way to maintain your window coverings, feel free to ask a window Covering Speciaist at Danmer ! Whether by phone, email, or live chat, our team of professionals is here to help you every step of the way. Visit us at www.danmer.com and let us know how we can assist you.
Seeing your kitchen windows with brand new shutters for the first time can be a revelation! Who knew the kitchen could take on such a sophisticated look? Well, this is what happens when you invest the right amount of time and energy into your home improvement projects. In the midst of all the excitement to get your renovation done, however, many homeowners overlook one crucial detail that can significantly extend the life span of their new window coverings: the choice of materials for your shutters or blinds.
Your kitchen shutters, for example, must be able to withstand exposure to moisture from the sink , from cooking and from the dishwasher. Choosing shutters for your kitchen – or even a bathroom for that matter – that are made from solid hardwood may not be a wise choice. Over time, wood is guaranteed to warp, chip, peal and even discolor from the effects of water and moisture.
How to avoid this costly mistake? Make sure you get design help from a Window Covering Design Specialist through a FREE in-home consultation right at the beginning of your renovation project. Make sure your selections are a good balance of beauty and function. Chances are you’ll avoid premature wear and tear of your window coverings in the long run.
So EXACTLY what material should you choose for areas of your home that often contain higher amounts of heat and moisture? The answer is a synthetic material for shutters or blinds are your best choice. Genuine Thermalite shutters from Danmer are water resistant, flame retardant, and guaranteed to never crack peel or discolor, making them a perfect fit for kitchens and bathrooms. If you’re looking for a natural wood grain look, select a water resistant faux wood option that will bring elegance to your room, while holding up well in moisture and humidity.
Need more information? Give us a call at (800) 684-3434, or schedule your consultation online at danmer.com
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says that cords from window coverings are one of the top 5 safety hazards in your home. There have been over 500 child strangulation from blinds and shade cords over the past few decades.
Over 5 million window coverings have been recalled in recent years because of injury and death to babies and young children. Recalled products include vertical and horizontal blinds, rollup blinds, Roman shades and roller shades. Strangulation and injury can occur anywhere in the house where children can wrap these cords around their necks or become entangled in the loops. This can happen quickly and silently.
To prevent child strangulation, the CPSC recommends the use of cordless window coverings in homes where children are present.
Safety Matters Checklist:
- Examine all shades & blinds in your home for exposed or dangling cords.
- Make sure there are no accessible cords on the front, side, or back of the product.
- Use Kid Safe Certified cordless window coverings in all homes where children live or visit.
- Position cribs, beds, playpens and other furniture against walls that have no windows and no window cords.
- Permanently anchor all loops on every window covering cord anywhere in your home to the door or to the wall.
- Ask your Danmer Designer how to replace older window treatments with cordless ones. Danmer carries a full line of cordless blinds, shades and custom shutters that are safe for everyone in the family.
For more information visit on how to replace your old corded window coverings please visit http://danmer.com/buy/kidsafe.php
Custom Shutter App for android or apple.
The Shutter Shopper app is a revolutionary app brought to you by Danmer Custom Shutters for your Apple or Android device! The Shutter Shopper app lets you visualize how custom shutters will look in your home!
Using the Shutter Shopper app is simple! In just 3 short steps, you will see just how beautiful your home can be with custom shutters!
- Snap a photo of your windows.
- Outline the Window using the app.
- Select your shutters from a variety of colors, louver size and tilt rod options!
Once completed you will be able to see the beautify and elegance that custom shutters can bring to your home! Then you can save and share your design with family and friends!
The app is available now in the Apple App Store and in Google Play! Download it today or call one of our design specialist and they will bring the showroom to you!